Up Front: the next WCOC is at THE most happening place in West Cork, the world-famous Ludgate Digital Hub, Townshend Street, Skibbereen – May 18th, 11am.
“Business is a creative endeavour”
Orlagh O’Brien, Graphic Designer, Ludgate Centre
WCOC hive brain on 4th May went something like this:
The group decided that Open Coffee should be more than just networking. It’s this difference that has made OC so popular around the world. Every meeting will involve peer-to-peer consultancy, ideas exchange, support and constructive criticism.
We weren’t all happy clappy. We considered the ‘blockers’ – such as the loss of young people and how to encourage them back with meaningful opportunities. We thought about creating a real, inclusive recovery in the area and, natch, out-of-town broadband connectivity.
But we said that these meetings would not ‘go negative’. Oh no.
We discussed how the benefits of a meaningfully connected business community are crucial to responding to the challenges we face.
What’s special about WCOC?
Our patented, five-minute BEDTalks are a feature of the fortnightly meetups – offering an inventor or entrepreneur (sorry, enterpriser!) – to share an idea for evaluation and constructive criticism. BED is an acronym for Business Evolution and Direction and yes, we know it’s a tad corny but we couldn’t resist it.
Whatever sector we work in, there’s something that each of us can learn from others.
*Whether you are a professional musician or performer, a restaurant owner, web developer, agricultural consultant, graphic designer, work in retail or provide professional services – West Cork Open Coffee is for you.
*If your business is just an idea bring it along and bounce it around – we especially would like to support and encourage you.
*International business tycoon who has amassed a vast fortune and unrivalled expertise? We would love you to share your thoughts. And who knows, you might learn something from us too?
*If you are motoring along happily enough but wondering about how you might do better or branch out – your presence is essential.
*If you are worried about your business, you have plenty of company – we hope West Cork Open Coffee will have some useful advice for each of us who share that feeling.
Topics for future discussion:
- Developing a plot/plan for West Cork
- Learning from Cornwall e.g. – a revived, networked community
- ‘Lifestyle businesses’ making an important contribution to the local economy
- Connecting and galvanising local talent
- Who does what in West Cork – creating deep knowledge and vibrancy through the synergy of real connection
- Social media and online opportunities
- Creative tech and design in West Cork
- Enterprise is a creative endeavour
- Food – currently one of the most dynamic sectors in the region
- Manufacturing in West Cork
- Scenario planning to create a vision of the future
- Telling the future story for West Cork in 2021
- Creating a big picture to overcome isolation
- Developing a West Cork Business Exchange
Next Open Coffee Meetup & BedTalk 18th May 11am
Come and hear BEDTalk speaker Martin Daley, Manufacturing/Retailing/Documentary-maker/Finance and sales.
Wednesday 11am, May 18th at the Ludgate Centre, Skibbereen